Thursday, October 19, 2006

Will work for peace

Whenever you talk about the Middle East, you are bound to inflame the passions of one side or another so I am going to attempt to tread lightly here...

As an everyday joe looking at news from that region it seems to me (without laying blame or praise on either side) that it is an impossible, no-win situation. A stable solution in the region seems impossible from where I sit right now (in my cube, looking out the window, it is a nice sunny day.)

Peace, unfortunately, has not seemed to work. War, as we've witnessed countless times, hasn't worked either.

So what is the alternative? Well, as ludicrous as it may seem on the surface, maybe business is the answer.

The argument goes that if you invest some money, put people to work, they'll be too busy to kill each other. That's so crazy it just might work! I know my day is so packed with work and school I scarcely have time to yell at my neighbor for playing music too loud... much less engage in mortal combat with him.

I mean, what do we have to lose? Things can scarcely get any worse over there. So let's have the soldiers and the diplomats and (above all) the ideologues step aside and let's have the business people come in with some money and a business plan and see if indeed corporations can be a force for peace in a part of the world where peace has seemed impossible.

No comments: