Thursday, February 09, 2006

Medium is still the message

I get my breaking news from the web, my “feature” type news from a hard-copy news magazine or the occasional newspaper, and I get my laughs from blogs.

So why am I going on about this? Well because I had an interesting conversation with a colleague of mine the other day who was commenting on what she perceived as the lack of coverage of the Egyptian ferry disaster on TV and major news outlets.

I was actually surprised to hear her say that, because the disaster got top billing for 2 or 3 days on Google news, so from my perspective, the story was pretty widely covered.

A common refrain is that the content of the media has a profound influence on the way public opinion is shaped, indeed if that wasn’t the case (or the perception at least) then as a PR manager I would be out of a job. But what is interesting in this case is that it was not the content that informed a particular opinion of a story, but how that content was accessed.

Yeah, I know… the medium is the message, welcome to media theory of the 1960s, Penguin. I guess it is just interesting to see the theory in action.

No comments: