Saturday, December 17, 2005

A $100 to save the world?

Far be it for me to question the likes of Craig Barrett, but I have to say I don’t think he is right on this one. This hand-cranked $100 computer sounds to me exactly what the developing world needs. I don’t think they want a full-function PC because they are too clunky, have too many unnecessary features and are far, far too difficult to maintain. A simple machine, with simple connectivity, able to do simple e-business or e-government-types of transactions pertaining to births, deaths, land ownership, market prices, payments to be easily, and most critically IMHO, transparently, is a huge step forward.

That level of easy and transparency, avoiding any sort of corrupt middle-man, would make an enormous positive impact to the lives of people.

No comments: